Baked Artichoke Chicken Pasta
- Olive Oil 2 Tbsp
- Onion, Diced 1/3 Cup
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Garlic, Thinly Sliced 4 Cloves
- Uncooked Diced Chicken 1-3/4 Cup
- Italian Seasoning 1 tsp
- Rigatoni Pasta 12 oz
- Butter 3 Tbsp
- Flour 3 Tbsp
- Milk 3 Cups
- Nutmeg a pinch
- Parmesan Cheese, Grated 1 Cup
- Artichoke Hearts, Canned, Packed in oil & Drained 12 oz
- Mozzarella Cheese 1 Cup
- Prepare powdered buttermilk according to container directions and marinate the chicken, frozen or not, in the buttermilk between 1 and 24 hours in the refrigerator before cooking.
- In a large skillet heat a tablespoon or 2 of oil over medium heat and add the onions. Season with a dash of salt and pepper, cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper. In the same skillet heat another tablespoon of oil over medium heat and add the chicken. Cook through, stirring every few minutes so all sides get browned. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta to al dente in plenty of salted water. Meanwhile make the sauce and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook 3 minutes, whisking often. Slowly whisk in milk, bring to a simmer for 3 minutes, whisking often. Turn heat to low, whisk in nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and the parmesan cheese. Turn off heat.
- Generously butter a 9×13-inch casserole or baking pan. Drain pasta, add back to the pan and toss with the chicken, Italian seasoning and onion/garlic. Add about 3/4 of the sauce to the pasta and stir well. Pour into the casserole pan and spread out evenly.
- Scatter the artichokes evenly over top then spoon the remaining sauce over them. Sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Bake 40 minutes until bubbly all over and golden on top. If the cheese starts to get too brown cover with aluminum foil. Allow to set 5 minutes before serving.