- Uncooked Diced Dark Chicken 5 Cups
- Cardamom 1/2 tsp
- Cumin 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable Oil
- Onion, Chopped 1
- Garlic, Minced 2 Cloves
- Fresh Ginger, Peeled & Minced 1-in piece
- In a small bowl, mix together cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, and salt. Sprinkle hafl of the spice mixture over chicken.
- Coat bottom of a 5- to 7-quart Dutch oven with a thin film of oil and set pot over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add enough chicken to cover bottom in 1 layer.
- Cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, and ginger to pot and cook, stirring for 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in the saffron, cayenne, and remaining spice mixture. Add lime juice and sugar and let come to a boil, stirring to release browned bits. Add broth and return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot. Let liquid come to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, cut each dried apricot in half.
- When chicken has cooked 25 minutes, stir in apricots. Continue to simmer, covered, until apricots are plump, 10 to 15 minutes more. To serve, splash each portion with a few drops of rose water, if using.
- Toss the shallots or green onions, if using, with the mushrooms. Sauté over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Sautéed mushrooms may be cooked in advance, set aside, then reheated when needed. Season to taste just before serving.