- Olive Oil 3 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Uncooked Diced Chicken 1-3/4 Cups
- Onion, Diced 1
- Bell Pepper, Diced 1
- Black Olives, Finely Chopped 1/2 Cup
- Garlic, Minced 3 Cloves
- Chile Powder 1-1/2 tsp
- Dried Oregano 1 tsp
- Dried Thyme 1/2 tsp
- Uncooked Long-grain Rice 1/2 Cup
- Chicken Broth 5 Cups
- Salsa 1 Cup
- Corn 2/3 Cup
- In a large soup pot heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Season the chicken well and cook, stirring often so all sides get browned. Remove to a dish and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot over medium-low heat and saute the onion, pepper, garlic and olives together 5 minutes, season well with salt and pepper and stir often.
- Mix in the chile powder, oregano, thyme and rice, cook 3 minutes.
- Stir the chicken back into the pot and add the broth, salsa and corn. Bring to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Stir and taste often – seasoning as needed.
- Serve with toppings like cilantro, cheese, sour cream, lime and tortilla chips if desired.